Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I am in the process of getting divorced. My husband had only

Customer Question

I am in the process of getting divorced. My husband had only ten dollars until his parents' died and left him a home, cottage, three vehicles and a half million dollars. My father is an investment rep for Merrill Lynch he took Scott's money that was scattered in thousand dollar increments in many many banks. We lived off the interest. The three years we were married we lived in the house he inherited. He gave me one of the three vehicles as my own. Only a checking account was put in my name.
Because the inheritance money and property were co mingled, am I entitled to any of the money besides the checking account?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
Most likely you are entitled to the commingled assets. Michigan is not a community property state but a equitable distribution state meaning the court (Judge) may do what it believe is fair under the circumstances. Here, the fact that the property was co-mingled lends one to reasonably believe that the property is also his/hers and the court will likely feel the same way.I would look into retaining counsel so that your rights are ensured.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.