Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

Am I required to pay unsecured debts incurred by my Parent

Customer Question

Am I required to pay unsecured debts incurred by my Parent while she was alive. She passed away in 2014?
Thank you,
Phillip Tumminia
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
No, you have no liability for these debts of your parent. If the probate assets in her estate were not sufficient to pay her debts, then the unsecured creditors must simply write them off as bad debts. They cannot pursue family members of the decedent for those debts. And, it's important to remember that only probate assets of the decedent are subject to these debts. Assets that are not probate assets are: i) joint accounts which vest automatically in the surviving joint owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants with right of survivorship or as tenancy by the entirety, which property vests automatically in the surviving owner; and iii) assets with named beneficiaries, such as retirement plans and life insurance policies. None of these are probate assets and thus are not subject to the claims of the unsecured creditors of the decedent. The exception to the foregoing is that some states have specific statutes with regard to medical and nursing home bills of the decedent.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!