Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

I do not have a will yet and I am single. I know that I will

Customer Question

I do not have a will yet and I am single. I know that I will name my niece as in charge of my estate. However I am going out of town in a few days and wondered if I typed up something to that effect and have it notarized, would that suffice in case something happens during my travels.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
You can do a very simple will and it will be valid as long as the will meets the requirements of one of the two types of will allowed under Mississippi law. Those requirements are as follows: 1) Attested Will. The requirements of an attested will is that it not only needs to be signed by you, but it must also be signed by two witnesses who are not inheriting from you. 2) Holographic Will. A holographic will is one that is written entirely in your handwriting and signed at the bottom. A holographic will need not have the attesting witness signatures. To be valid, the holographic will need only show that: a) you clearly signed it and intended it to be your valid Last Will and Testament; and (b) entire document is in your handwriting.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!