Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

My will gave my sister my estate or her issue , per stirpes

Customer Question

my will gave my sister my estate or her issue , per stirpes if she dies (she did. There is a section were i make no provision to other siblings. My niece is named in the will to replace my sister as temp or permanent Executrix. my niece is who i want to leave my estate to. Do I need to make a new will.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Yes.
If someone wants to CHANGE their Will, they either have to:
1) Create a NEW will that specifically VOIDS the existing will, or
2) Create a CODICIL (which is a "change" to an existing will, but not a whole new will).
At least one of the two above needs to happen to change something in the existing will.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.