Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I am the sole beneficiary of a living trust my mother is currently

Customer Question

I am the sole beneficiary of a living trust my mother is currently the beneficiary of. The living trust was created for her mother who passed away in 1994. I have misplaced the living trust agreement. There is real estate and other assets held by the trust. My mother is in her eighties and sick. I don't want to ask her for a copy of it because it will upset her. When my mother passes away if I don't have a copy of the living trust how do I prove I am the sole beneficiary. (My mother was an only child. My brother and I are my mother's only children and my brother passed away last year. Thank you!!!
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You will need to get the copy from the trustee of the trust, because these trusts are not filed in any central government registry. If you cannot get it from the trustee, you would have to get it from your mother, there is no other way to get the copy of the trust.
In order to prove a trust, the person claiming a trust has to present an original signed copy of the trust.