Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

My father-in-law recently passed away. He left my husband his house in his will. The h

Customer Question

My father-in-law recently passed away. He left my husband his house in his will. The house was sold before his death. Is my husband entitled to the money from the sale of the house? His sister sold the house but we were never advised of what it sold for and what happened to that money. My father-in-law moved in with the sister and lived with her until he passed away.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Generally speaking, the sale of a property such as you have described would extinguish the bequest and the bequest does NOT attach to the sale proceeds. That is known as Ademption By Extinction. Here is an law journal article on the subject which explain this is more detail. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/ademption_by_extinction. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for this Answer.