Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I will inherit land from my mother, while married a legal contract

Customer Question

I will inherit land from my mother, while married a legal contract was signed by my mother and myself in which I pay her so much a month until x amount is met up to Y amount in 2028 or if she dies I inherit it at that point, the land is leased by another to farm it, I get paid then pay my mother x amount and had split the rest with my wife now my ex-wife. In the divorce the judge gave her half the land, we live in Texas, the way I am obtaining this is it still an inheritance, still considered separate property and can I get the ruling changed. I want to sell to my brother now to keep the land in the family, she is blocking that, we owe property taxes that went up 500% and cant' pay it so penalty taxes are going up daily, what can be done, the taxes have gone up $6,000 since I first wanted to sell
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
You could have appealed the judge's decision. Here is a link to a Texas appellate attorney to see if you can appeal the decision: http://www.texasappellatelawblog.com/2008/10/articles/appellate-advocacy/what-is-required-to-perfect-appeal/ Alternatively, explain to the ex-wife that if the taxes are not paid a tax lien sale could compel foreclosure and every one lose profit on any profits derived from a sale of the property. Unless the ex-wife cooperates, the sale will not be able to take place. Consider selling for a higher price but use some creative financing such as seller financing to achieve a higher price with the brother and then the ex-wife will have to enforce a contract against your brother if there is a breach of contract after the sale is completed. I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.
Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only option I have is to get her to sell as is,,, explain to me how legally she can be given inheritance that I haven't inherited yet, plus the contract between my mother and I was years before the divorce so what's stopping me from letting it go back to her then inheriting years from now when she passes? I'm not doing it if I can help but I want to know the legal aspect of all this and inheritance, not me or others thinking this is how it should be but legally what's the deal. Where do I go rate you?
A rating can be made by clicking the rating tab.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you. ***** ANSWER.