Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

How does one go about dissolving a trust created during a marriage,

Customer Question

How does one go about dissolving a trust created during a marriage, that now there is a divorce?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Was this a revocable living trust or an irrevocable trust?
.
Who is the trustee of the trust?
.
Who is/are the grantors (makers) of the trust?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a revocable trust.
I think it is our oldest son, Kaj-Patrick Gould TrappWe were the makers-David and Susan Trapp
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then this is a fairly simple matter. The grantors would just need to draft a statement saying that it is their desire to revoke the trust dated XXXXXXX created by John and Jane Doe and that the trustee, Jim Doe is to transfer all trust assets back to the grantors personally.
.
The revocation is then signed, dated and notarized. A notarized copy is then delivered to the trustee who then has the duty of transferring any assets in the trust back to the original grantors personally and closing any accounts in the trust's name. Things like real estate are then deeded back from the trust, with the trustee signing as the authorized agent, to the original grantors of the trust.
.
The revocation is not filed anywhere as trusts are entirely confidential documents.
.
.
thanks