How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2963
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has been out of prison(California) 10 years.

Customer Question

My brother has been out of prison(California) for over 10 years. He is pegged to receive a cash inheritance soon. He has never paid any monies against a court ordered reimbursement to the victims. The estate attorney plans to report to Corrections. Is he still liable? Thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. The order in this case is good for 10 years but it can be renewed so the order for reimbursed can be good forever so your brother would still be liable for the court ordered debt as long as it has been renewed. They can attach this judgment to the inheritance unless the inheritance is held in some type of irrevocable trust with spendthrift language. If the inheritance is a direct gift then your brother will probably have what is owed subtracted from the inheritance. Please let me know if you have any further questions or require any additional guidance. Please do not forget to positively rate my answer as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I see you have viewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions. If you could positively rate my answer, I would appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent so I could be compensated for my work from this site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Any chance for a positive rating?