Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

The home goes to one person and the "financial empire" goes

Customer Question

The home goes to one person and the "financial empire" goes to four siblings. Is the estate responsible for the pay off on the mortgage before the beneficiary inherits the house?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If the estate had more assets than debts and the decedent owned the house and held the mortgage in her sole name, then the estate will pay off the mortgage as part of the probate process. Although the will could also address that specifically and if it does then that language would control. The answer to the question is yes if the estate has the funds it should pay off all debts owed by the decedent unless the will provides otherwise. Please let me know if you have any further questions or require any additional guidance. Please do not forget to positively rate my answer as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Just checking back in. Let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.
Are you still there?