LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

What percentage of an annuity is due to the spouse. I was the

Customer Question

What percentage of an annuity is due to the spouse. I was the beneficiary of the annuity. I am in the state of North Carolina.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The annuity was paid at my father's death.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
My goal is to provide great service - if you have any questions, please ask. A follow up consult with a personal attorney is always recommended.
It depends on the length of the marriage.
Basically
If married less than 5 years, 15%
If 5-10 years, 25%
if 10-15 years, 33%
if greater than 15 years, 50% of net estate.
§ 30-3.1. Right of elective share.
(a) Elective Share. - The surviving spouse of a decedent who dies domiciled in this
State has a right to claim an "elective share", which means an amount equal to (i) the applicable
share of the Total Net Assets, as defined in G.S. 30-3.2(4), less (ii) the value of Net Property
Passing to Surviving Spouse, as defined in G.S. 30-3.2(2c). The applicable share of the Total
Net Assets is as follows:
(1) If the surviving spouse was married to the decedent for less than five years,
fifteen percent (15%) of the Total Net Assets.
(2) If the surviving spouse was married to the decedent for at least five years but
less than 10 years, twenty-five percent (25%) of the Total Net Assets.
(3) If the surviving spouse was married to the decedent for at least 10 years but
less than 15 years, thirty-three percent (33%) of the Total Net Assets.
(4) If the surviving spouse was married to the decedent for 15 years or more,
fifty percent (50%) of the Total Net Assets.
(b) Repealed by Session Laws 2013-91, s. 1(d), effective October 1, 2013, and
applicable to estates of decedents dying on or after October 1, 2013.
(c) Repealed by Session Laws 2009-368, s. 1, effective August 27, 2009, and applicable
to decedents dying on or after October 1, 2009. (2000-178, s. 2; 2003-296, s. 1; 2009-368, s. 1;
2013-91, s. 1(d).)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!