Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

In California, fathered died recently. There is a living trust, but a written revo

Customer Question

Hi -
In California, fathered died recently. There is a living trust, but a written revocation of the pour over will. The condo (underwater) and a life insurance policy are in the trust. There are back taxes, educational loan, and other debts that far exceed any amount of money that would be available in probate.
After going through probate are the taxes (on a payment plan), educational loan and other debts considered settled, or can they go after the money in the living trust? Will I, the only child be responsible for any of those debts, if he personally signed for them, after probate.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
My condolences for your loss.
Children are not responsible for the debts of their parents absent a written agreement to the contrary signed by the child.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.