Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My mother died in 02/2015 she owned a double wide moblie home

Customer Question

my mother died in 02/2015 she owned a double wide moblie home it was was paid off//she left me as benificariy//but she had no will //What do i do to get it my stepfather is living in it & thinks its his?
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
What do you mean that she left you as beneficiary if she had no will?
.
Were you listed on the title to the mobile home along with her as as "joint tenants"?
.
Who is currently listed on the title to the mobile home?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mr.Barrister ,Yes I was listed on the the title to of the mobile home & I lived there with her for ten years until yes remarried//// I know i signed a documemt leaving me the mobile home after her death//We are dealing with a black Lady who works for me & really does'nt know what's what!!! Thanks,Linda Kaye Boykin
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you were listed on the title along with mother as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, then when mother passed, you would automatically become the sole owner by operation of law without having to do anything else.
.
But if you wanted mother's name removed from the title, you can take a copy of her death certificate down to the local office where the mobile home is registered, probably the county clerk's office, and file it with them so they can help you to update their records and reflect you as the sole owner.
.
She can then contact the SC Dept of Motor Vehicles to file an application for a title to be issued in her sole name.
.
Once she has the mobile home in her sole name, she can then serve stepfather with a written 30 day notice to terminate his tenancy and then file a formal eviction action to get a judge to issue an order for him to move if he doesn't voluntarily move within that 30 day period.
.
.
thanks