Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

After sixty yrs of marriage our elderly father died 10 yrs

Customer Question

After sixty yrs of marriage our elderly father died 10 yrs ago, leaving a will with our brothers as trustees of his estate. Our mother had right of occupation of the family house for the rest of her life. She has recently died, leaving us sisters as trustees of her estate.
Presently, the estate of our elderly Mother has been attended by Lawyers, dividing Mum's cash assets and belongings equally amongst all us children, however the house property not included.
It seems to me that the estate is only being half dealt with if the house property intentions are not disclosed and in fairness to all family members. Am I within my rights to ask the Lawyer completing Mum's estate, in which I am asked to sign off.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.
It sounds like to me that your mum had a life estate in the family property and the rest of the property was left according to the will to another family member. Many times property is left to the siblings with a life estate remaining with the spouse (your mum). You will probably need to look into the probate of your father and see if the family house passed to you or to your brothers. Your mum might not have anything to pass in her estate so the lawyers might not be dealing with the property as it is not part of her estate. You need to speak to the lawyer's and see if this is the case.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.
I see you have reviewed my answer, please let me know if I can do anything further. Please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.