Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I have primary placement of my son and we have joint

Customer Question

I have primary placement of my son and we have joint custody. I am looking to move out of state. My sons dad is very controlling and if he dont get his way he starts a hassle. He made the statement recently (since we have conflicting schedules) that he
should just say screw it ill move and just give up. Cause there is no visitation schedule since the last time. If my sons dad does move out of state and nothing is discussed. Do i have permission as well to move out of state?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the dad moves out of state, you still need to give him notice and a chance to object. Under WI statute, when a parent seeks to relocate out of the state with a minor child or within the state of Wisconsin that parent must first provide notice to other parent, so you need to provide that notice to him notice. If he moves and you give him notice that you are moving, he is not likely to go back to WI to file in court to even try to stop you and if he is no longer in WI the court would not usually entertain his objection anyhow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What if i dont know how to teach him when he moves away to give notice of my intent to move then what?
Thank you for your reply.
If you have no way to contact him, then you cannot contact him and if you move then there is nothing he can complain about since he did not give you contact information.