RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My father passed away 2 years ago and was deeply in debt.

Customer Question

My father passed away 2 years ago and was deeply in debt. There was no will and no power of attorney, but I had his mail forwarded to me so I could deal with family issues. I received a summons from Putnam County Court (vs. my Father's Estate). What should I do?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
If there were no assets here you can write the lawyer and set out that he died insolvent and no probate is planned.Unless there are assets the judgment is not collectible.That is the extent you need to be involved.
If there were assets to the estate they can seek to open probate and file a creditor claim.But otherwise if there were no assets a letter here should end this.If there no assets here you have no personal liability the judgement remains not collectible.
They may be trying to foreclose if he had property for back taxes or other debts.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for your loss of your father.Again you have no personal liability he died insolvent, any judgment here is likely uncollectible.
I appreciate the chance to chat.If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.