Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My father passed away recently. I am named as the Personal

Customer Question

My father passed away recently. I am named as the Personal Representative and sole heir in his will, which I have file with the Superior Court in Washington state. However, my sister was disinherited in the will, which states that she is to be given the least amount applicable under Washington State Law. At the moment, this amount is $1.00. Besides a copy of the will and a cashiers check for $1.00, is there anything else that I need to send to her?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. No, you need not provide her any additional information. As an adult child, she has no legal entitlement to any inheritance and if your dad chose not to leave her anything but the minimum amount, then that's all to which she has any entitlement. As long as she gets her dollar, that fulfills your obligation. She can, of course, contest the will. But, the burden would be on her and the burden is a high one as courts bend over backwards to uphold the wishes of the decedent. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!