RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My mother passed without a will I signed a paper to have my

Customer Question

My mother passed without a will I signed a paper to have my brother be executore before she filed the paperwork I emailed her to stop and not file my renunciation so she did not file the papers but said she can not say to much to me because she now works for my older brother since he was going to be personal rep now I believe my older brother will abuse exspense account also make poor decisions what happens next I assume I need my own lawyer what would the battle be about and does the judge decide who is appointed I do have a younger brother who is working along side my eldest brother
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Yes you need your own lawyer here to make application for you to be appointed executor.The court would consider your application separately, you may well be appointed executor especially if you can testify about valid concerns you have about your brother here.
You need to locate a lawyer as soon as you can in order to have a fair chance at being appointed. The court ought to at least appoint you as a co executor if you make application.That gives you at least joint approval and input into the estate and access to all financial information.
Lawyer referral with ratings for you.
http://www.avvo.com/probate-lawyer/sd.html
A good summary for you about the process.
http://www.sdbar.org/pamphlets/probate.html
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.