RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My mother named me as executor in her will and passed away

Customer Question

my mother named me as executor in her will and passed away 2 weeks ago. I have to get her home put up for sale and move forward paying debt etc. What am I expected to do since the will shows a prior last name for a previous marriage?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
This will not be a problem.In your application you title it the Estate of Jane Doe aka ***** ***** and explain it in the application that he had a name change here.The will and any other documents are still valid.
The lawyer or you if you are pro se can deal with this in the application and the orders will also reflect the name change here so that it is not a problem.
This should not be a problem here it can be dealt with in probate application and you deed on behalf of the estate so the deed would set out that there was an aka name change here.
This is something that can be fixed by the application and the court orders to reflect both names and the deed and closing papers can also have it included. This is not uncommon people get married or divorced, the law allows for it here in Washington.
The application for probate and the other probate documents should refer it to Estate of ***** ***** also known as ***** *****.
The application should note that ***** ***** the deceased was also known as ***** ***** at the time of execution of the will.They are the same person.***** ***** was the legal name of the deceased at the time of death.Or something similar.If you are pro se and using premade forms you would have to modify them .
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.