RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

It's Brooklyn New York . Are there specific statutes

Customer Question

It's Brooklyn New York . Are there specific statutes covering this question. IF a next of Kin appears later - can they sue the friend who disposes of the body by cremation
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be he expert helping you tonight.
There would be no liability here with friend disposing of body if no relative appears later on.There is no such cause of action.You disposed of it as you thought the deceased would want and nobody can sue you for such a choice.You would not have liability since there is no relative stepping forward at the time the person deceased and you made the call.
Unless the relative comes forward prior to cremation or an executor and a will none else can claim the body here in NY or sue you for doing so.You did what was right here no doubt.
I appreciate the chance to help you .I am so sorry for the loss of your friend here.Thanks again.If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.