Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

I am a U.S. & Canadian Citizen. I have a Will and Living Trust

Customer Question

I am a U.S. & Canadian Citizen. I have a Will and Living Trust generated in the U.S. I also own property in Canada. Will my U.S. Will cover the disbursement of assets of my Canadian property OR do I need a separate Will generated in Canada?
Cheers
Doug
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This answer is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Some foreign jurisdictions will recognize wills drafted in the United States. Generally speaking, for a U.S. will to be valid in a foreign country, it must be formally valid under the laws of that jurisdiction. Some foreign jurisdictions, however, will not recognize a will drafted in the United States under any circumstance or will recognize the U.S. will only under certain unique circumstances. In the United States, an individual is free to dispose of his or her estate as desired.
It is usually best to have a will drafted in both countries in order to properly insure that your interests are covered. If the will is carefully written in accordance to Canadian Law it also should be valid. It would therefore be very important to find a U.S. estate planning attorney familiar with Canadian Law if you decide to go solely with a United States will.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or require any additional guidance. Please do not forget to positively rate my answer as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
I see you have reviewed my answer, please let me know if I can do anything further. Please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.