Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My father passed away last year. He left a will naming me

Customer Question

My father passed away last year. He left a will naming me his executor. It's just my sister and I. He owned a house (we are trying to sell), a mortgage and had about $20,000 in credit cards and an auto loan. Does his estate need to be probated?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you today. My condolences for your loss.
It is going to be necessary to probate the estate in order to sell the house if it is titled in your late father's name. Remember, the will only appoints you to be executor. It is not official, and you have no legal authority over estate assets, until the court confirms the appointment and issues letters testamentary evidencing your legal authority.
I hope this is helpful.  If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them.  It is never a problem.
Thank you.