Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

I need help in deciding on whether I should formally

Customer Question

Hey there,
I need help in deciding on whether I should formally contest the upcoming Executor appointment for my Dad's estate. Here's the background...
My father passed away on May 7th and is survived by 3 children: my brother (28), my sister (41) and myself (33). He has a fairly large estate but nothing too crazy large... likely a few $100,000 in assets and then another 500+ acres of farmland. His passing was sudden and no Will exists.
The main reason I'm concerned about the appointment is because of the history between my sister and father as well as her location. Long story short, my Dad got in trouble for having a sexual relationship with my sister when she was 12 years old. Unfortunately, though they never faced further 'legal' trouble for it, the situation seemed to continue for many years... all the way into her adulthood. Because of their odd situation, she was on a few of his bank accounts & already has full ownership of those after he passed.. so while she's the most informed on the status of his current estate, I still don't believe she's the best person for handling it all.
Additionally, she lives in Littleton, Colorado and we're in Northern Minnesota... quite a few miles away. She lives there with her 14 year old son, so relocation isn't likely on her end. That's another concern of mine because it seems fairly impossible to manage things from so far away when much of his estate includes machinery & other physical things.. I'm currently living very close (10 miles away) and taking care of my Mom who has cancer.. so while I'm busy with that, I've got much more time & access to the situation.
But so yeah, with allll of that said... do you think it's worth filing a formal petition to at least become a co-representative?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
,
Has sister actually filed a formal petition to be appointed Administrator over the estate?
.
Are you interested in filing you own petition to be appointed?
.
And the estate is in MN where you are, correct?
.
.
thanks