Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

Should social security disability income to a minor child be

Customer Question

Should social security disability income to a minor child be considered when determining child support with friend of the court? How do you file an appeal for a child support determination from friend of the court when this happens?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Who is the child receiving the disability payment from, based on which parent the paying or receiving parent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.Based upon my (I am her mother) medical disability status. My daughter is a minor (14 years old), The disability payment is being given to her from Social Security Administration (SSD) as a result of my medical disability. I am the receiving parent.
Thank you for your reply.
If she is receiving SSDI dependent benefits from the parent receiving child support, the payments are not counted towards the paying parent's child support payments. It is only if the child is receiving dependent benefits from the paying parent that the paying parent gets credit for the dependent benefits towards their child support payments AND THEN it is only at the sole discretion of the court, it is not mandatory that they must receive a credit.