Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

I am researching a vacant house in California. Taxes are

Customer Question

Hi - I am researching a vacant house in California. Taxes are paid by the heirs I assume, but the deceased person's name remains on the title--and is the addressee for fines related to building code violations. Can we compel the owners to probate the estate? Are the heirs responsible for the fines even if they haven't changed the title? Thanks in advance.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, heirs are NOT responsible for the fines, especially if they haven't changed the title. Only the estate is responsible. Until the property changes ownership, only the estate is liable for the fines. As far as compelling probate, you personally generally cannot compel someone else to do anything, but if there is a personal debt owed against this property to you, you can record a lien and then seek to pursue a foreclosure. That will compel a sale especially if they still refuse to transfer ownership, and will permit you to cover the debt to you from the proceeds of the auction. Hope that helps clarify! Sincerely, ***** *****