How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 8064
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a revocable trust and I would like to change the order

Customer Question

I have a revocable trust and I would like to change the order of the successor trustees. Can I re type the page making the changes and replace the original page? Do I have to list it as an amendment or sign it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
My goal is to provide great service - if you have any questions, please ask. A follow up consult with a personal attorney is always recommended.
Thanks for your patience as I researched this.
It is not permissible to retype the page requiring the change and replacing it- that would put the entire the trust in question.
Rather the proper procedure for changing a trust is via an amendment, which can be done up until the settlor becomes incapacitated/dies, or the trust otherwise becomes irrevocable.
It should be noted that even after the settlor's death, the beneficiaries can petition the court to change the successor trustee, so many opt to include a Certificate of Independent Review of Successor Trustee, meaning that the settlor received counseling and approval from a licensed attorney as to the appointment of the successor trustee, making the court less likely to disregard this appointment.
Sample amendment template here:
The amendment does need to be signed and notarized by the settlor.
Probate codes 15400-414 govern trust amendments.
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney: and
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!