LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

Do you need to show all documents to sibling's when dealing

Customer Question

Do you need to show all documents to sibling's when dealing with estate when you are the Agent of the will.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
My goal is to provide great service - if you have any questions, please ask. A follow up consult with a personal attorney is always recommended.
A few minutes please as I look into this for you.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience.
Washington is more liberal than most states, and do not grant an heir as many rights as other states.
While a representative of an estate owes a fiduciary duty to the heirs/estate, an heir is not automatically entitled to see all documents pertaining to the estate unless the heir files, under code 11.28.250, a request for special notice. That statute is here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.28.240
This entitles the heir to be kept informed as to most filings, accountings, etc.
While any heir can request a copy of the will/inventory, they are not automatically entitled to other information unless the above referenced statutory authority is utilized.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!