LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

My rights are what now that Ive inherited my wifes partial

Customer Question

My rights are what now that Ive inherited my wifes partial ownership of home in los angeleis
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
My goal is to provide great service - if you have any questions, please ask. A follow up consult with a personal attorney is always recommended.
How was title to the property held? For example, was it joint tenancy with right of survivorship, and both husband and wife on title?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
home title was held by my wife and daughter and son in law. all her property including house title share left to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure if it was joint tenancy
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
If property is held in joint tenancy with right of survivorship, then it passes by operation of law to the surviving joint tenant.
If it was held as co-tenants, then the deceased spouse's share would pass via the will. If there are other co-owners, there can be an agreed upon buy out. If the parties are unable to come to an agreement, the court can order the property sold, with the proceeds divided according to everyone's respective interest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!