How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 101591
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father had a 6000 acre farm and passed away in nursing home.

Customer Question

My father had a 6000 acre farm and passed away in nursing home. My mother over the last few years has sold 320 acres to my brother for $1.00. She also gave my brother the remaining land in a Quit Claim Deed. He convinced my mother she should own nothing and use medicare when she goes into a nursing home. My mother is 83 and although not senile or legally incompetent, has zero financial savy. What recourse do I have to correct this situartion?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."
Because she is legally competent, then this was presumed a proper interest conveyance, regardless of her age. The only way it can be "undone" is to file in court after receiving guardianship for her (see below), arguing that she did NOT understand what she was doing at the time due to non-cognizance, which would void the deed conveyances.
To avoid her being taken advantage of in the future is to file for an adult guardianship order - see here. This would allow one to take over the decision-making ability for her if the Court feels that she lack the ability to do so herself, which is hard to prove if she IS mentally cognizant.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Estate Law Questions