Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs experience: Elder Law, Wills, Social Security Issues
20355756

My partner passed on recently and did not have life

Customer Question

My partner passed on recently and did not have life insurance and his siblings not a lot of money. We decided to have a cremation and mass up in our town and the Knights of Columbus would pay for the cremation since my partner was a Knight. His two estranged
sons didn't like that plan and decided to take the body an hour away to a different home and plan a viewing and next day funeral but no cremation which can run into over 10,000. Can you tell me, if these sons seem poor, how this will be paid for?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there -
-
If your partner had no life insurance and there was no money for any kind of regular funeral and burial, then the sons who took him to the other funeral home will be asked by the funeral home to pay the bill and if they do not pay the bill then the funeral home will pursue them by collections and to court if necessary. The sons must have some type of money to pay for this because the funeral home most likely requested a large downpayment for these services and if that downpayment is not made, then the funeral home will not proceed with the planned arrangements. Funeral homes do accept credit cards, so perhaps some of it was paid that way?
-
I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating underneath this ANSWER box so I will be given credit for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH