Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I have a revocable trust on my house, the five years is up,

Customer Question

I have a revocable trust on my house, the five years is up, now what do I have to do?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Can you please explain the whole situation? What do you mean "the five years is up?" What five years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My attorney said there was a five year time frame before it was in effect. So my understanding was now it belongs to my kids, anything further I, we, have to do?
Thank you for your reply.
I would need to see a copy of the trust to see what it says to be sure, because in the law there is no 5 year rule, it has to be something that is stated in the trust that causes the property to go to your children after 5 years. If it says that in the trust, then you need to get the attorney to execute the deeds to put the property in the names of the beneficiaries.
Do you have a copy of the trust you could send me the appropriate pages on or just tell me the specific language in the trust where it states about the 5 year clause?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say I have to find the copy of the trust.
Thank you for your reply.
We are not able to give you a certain answer without knowing what the trust states I am afraid, because your trust document is what controls your situation. Please get the trust and let us know by replying here when you do so and then we can complete this for you and give you better information.