RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

If my wife is the power of attorney mother in law who

Customer Question

if my wife is the power of attorney for my mother in law who is 80 years old and in the first stages of alzheimers and after 7 years of her living with us, we decide to drop her mother off at her brother's house, who has done nothing for those 7 years, is my wife legal liable for just "dropping" her off on her brother's doorstep
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
You have no liability here to drop off the mother in law.You left her with another adult, she is fine and not in danger, etc.
If she does no want to act as POA and brother is alternate POA he can deal with her finances.
Again there is no liability by leaving her with another adult here as she is with another relative.This is not considered neglect at all.Your wife has no legal obligation here, she left with another relative here in NY.
She is fine here.It seems like it might be time for the brother to help and provide some care.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.