Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My cousin lived on Long island NY and died and left me about

Customer Question

My cousin lived on Long island NY and died and left me about 20 guns. his son is contesting the money part of the will not the guns. The lawyer does not pay attention to the will as he said its small stuff and doesn't communicate with me. My cousin died Feb 2015. what can I do and how much does it cost. I am retired and need the cash from the sale of the guns
Thank you
Michael Di Leo ( scottsdale AZ)
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Probate can take more than simply 5 months I am afraid. If the son is contesting the estate at all, then the attorney has to wait until that is resolved before they can make any distributions of the property. Even if the son is not contesting the guns, the attorney has to deal with the whole estate and has to resolve the entire estate before distribution can be made, they cannot just distribute bits and pieces at different times.
You could engage an attorney, but they will charge you about $200 per hour and all they can do is wait on the estate attorney to complete the probate in the surrogate court.