Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

Wondering if I being lied to. I have a friend in Nigeria

Customer Question

wondering if I being lied to. I have a friend in Nigeria and lawyer says for her to get inheritance taxes must be paid by me. So they sending money to me to send back so shows my name as far as paying taxes. I am not married to her yet. It is her inheritance but they are sending money in pieces for me to send back.
Is this a true law or a scam? Am I doing money laundering and not knowing I doing federal crime. ? Do not want to support terriorism in any way. I am a Navy seabea veteran and want do everything on the level.
PLease tell me asap 911
Michael moon (###) ###-####
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a SCAM, there is no money coming to you. If you send them money, they will keep it and come up with more reasons for you to send more money or they will disappear. They are not going to send any money in pieces to you, unless they are going to send you fraudulent checks. This is one of the most common Nigerian scams. The US State Department has a warning about these types of issues, if they need money it is a lie that the taxes cannot be taken out of the inheritance money, they do not need any money up front. Her attorney is part of the scam and there is no inheritance. See: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/scams/dating.html
Also see: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/scams.html
Even if this were "legitimate", them sending money out of the country to send it back to the country is illegal money laundering as well.