Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My mom recently made a will. The attorney went out of town

Customer Question

My mom recently made a will. The attorney went out of town the next day, and will return next week. My mom has a seven day wait before signing her will. If she passes before signing the will, is the will still valid?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
The will is not valid until it is signed by your mom and witnessed by two witnesses. Pursuant to Indiana Code Section 29-1-5-1, in order to be valid, the Will must be signed by the testator and by two witnesses. Until then, the will has no validity and if your mother were to die before the will was signed and witnessed, it would not be valid. But, if you have a copy of this will, there is nothing preventing her from signing it and having it witnessed without the attorney present.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!