How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Property owned by two adult brothers. Acquired by inheritance.

Customer Question

Property owned by two adult brothers. Acquired by inheritance. One brother died. Surviving brother wants to sell 90 acre farm but deceased brother's widow does not want to sell preferring to leave to her 3 children. Options.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
There are only a few options available here. The brother that wants to sell can file for a 'partition sale' with courts, and request that the judge split the property in half where he obtains one half of the lot (and can then sell to someone else), or convince the widow to pursue the sale instead. One other option may be to ask that the widow 'buy out' the other brother, and pay him for his half of the ownership in the property. If she agrees, then she can keep the farm, and the other brother will be compensated for his share of the farm.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Estate Law Questions