Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

Property owned by two adult brothers. Acquired by inheritance.

Customer Question

Property owned by two adult brothers. Acquired by inheritance. One brother died. Surviving brother wants to sell 90 acre farm but deceased brother's widow does not want to sell preferring to leave to her 3 children. Options.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
There are only a few options available here. The brother that wants to sell can file for a 'partition sale' with courts, and request that the judge split the property in half where he obtains one half of the lot (and can then sell to someone else), or convince the widow to pursue the sale instead. One other option may be to ask that the widow 'buy out' the other brother, and pay him for his half of the ownership in the property. If she agrees, then she can keep the farm, and the other brother will be compensated for his share of the farm.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.