Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My father is currently undergoing treatment III Lung

Customer Question

My father is currently undergoing treatment for Stage III Lung Cancer, and things aren't looking good... he is currently on obamacare. He and my mom, who are divorced, still co-own their house together and were weeks away from sale before his diagnosis. Now the sale is on hold. He has a large amount of credit card debt in his name, and no other money. My understanding is that the creditors will go after the house (as his estate) for the money they are owed. Would it be a good idea to quick claim deed him off the house? Would this make them unable to go after my mom's house for his debts?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
As far as what is and is not a good idea, we can't really advise on that since that would require a detailed analysis of the entire potential estate as well as a lot of other issues which really requires an in person interview with a local attorney.
I can discuss the potential effects of deeding the house away and what it does and does not do. If that will be sufficient, please let me know.