Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My dad died in fort way Indiana , he was a gun and coin

Customer Question

My dad died in fort way Indiana , he was a gun and coin collector I have a stepmom and they wore married for 27 years , he did not have a Will what can we do??
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
You will still be able to probate the estate under the Indiana intestate succession laws. Here are Indiana's intestate succession laws:
If you die without a will in Indiana, your assets will go to your closest relatives under state “intestate succession” laws. Here are some details about how intestate succession works in Indiana.
Which Assets Pass by Intestate Succession
Only assets that would have passed through your will are affected by intestate succession laws. Usually, that includes only assets that you own alone, in your own name.
Many valuable assets don’t go through your will, and aren’t affected by intestate succession laws. Here are some examples:
•property you’ve transferred to a living trust
•life insurance proceeds
•funds in an IRA, 401(k), or other retirement account
•securities held in a transfer-on-death account
•real estate held by transfer-on-death deed
•vehicles held by transfer-on-death registration
•payable-on-death bank accounts, or
•property you own with someone else in joint tenancy or tenancy by the entirety.
These assets will pass to the surviving co-owner or to the beneficiary you named, whether or not you have a will.
To learn more about these types of assets, go to the How to Avoid Probate section of Nolo.com or read about Avoiding Probate in Indiana.
Who Gets What in Indiana?
Under intestate succession, who gets what depends on whether or not you have living children, parents, or other close relatives when you die. Here’s a quick overview:
If you die with:
here’s what happens:
•children but no spouse
•children inherit everything
•spouse but no descendants or parents
•spouse inherits everything
•spouse and descendants from you and that spouse
•spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property
•descendants inherit 1/2 of your intestate property
•spouse and at least one descendant from a previous spouse
•spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate personal property and 1/4 of the fair market value of your real estate, minus the value of any liens or encumbrances on that real estate.
•descendants inherit everything else
•spouse and parents
•spouse inherits 3/4 of your intestate property
•parents inherit 1/4 of your intestate property
•parents but no spouse or descendants
•parents inherit everything
•siblings but no spouse, descendants, or parents
•siblings inherit everything
The Spouse’s Share in Indiana
In Indiana, if you are married and you die without a will, what your spouse gets depends on whether or not you have living parents or descendants -- children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren. If you don’t, then your spouse inherits all of your intestate property. If you do, they and your spouse will share your intestate property as follows:
If you die with parents but no descendants. Your surviving spouse inherits 3/4 of your intestate property.
Example: Gerry is married to Joe, and her father is still alive. Gerry owns a house in joint tenancy with Joe, and Joe is also the named beneficiary of Gerry’s retirement account. When Gerry dies, Joe automatically inherits the house and any remaining retirement funds; those things are not intestate property. Gerry also has $100,000 worth of additional property that would have passed under a will if she had made one. Joe inherits $75,000 worth of that property. The remaining $25,000 worth of Gerry’s intestate property goes to Gerry’s father.
If you die with children or other descendants from you and the surviving spouse. Your surviving spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property.
Example: Bill is married to Karen, and they have two grown children. Bill and Karen own a large bank account in joint tenancy, and Bill took out a life insurance policy naming Karen as the beneficiary. When Bill dies, Karen receives the life insurance policy proceeds and inherits the bank account outright. Bill also owns $200,000 worth of other property that would have passed under a will, so Karen inherits $100,000 worth of that property. The remaining $100,000 goes to Bill’s and Karen’s two children.
If you die with at least one descendant who is not the descendant of your surviving spouse. Your spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate personal property plus 1/4 of the fair market value of your intestate real estate minus the value of any liens or encumbrances on that real estate.
Example: Barrett is married to Jed and also has a 12-year-old daughter from a previous marriage. Barrett owns a house in joint tenancy with Jed, plus $200,000 worth of additional, separate property that would have passed under a will if Barrett had made one. When Barrett dies, Jed inherits the house outright (it is not intestate property) plus $100,000 worth of Barrett’s property. Barrett’s daughter inherits the remaining $100,000 share of Barrett’s property.
Children’s Shares in Indiana
If you die without a will in Indiana, your children will receive an “intestate share” of your property. The size of each child’s share depends on how many children you have and whether or not you are married. (See the table above.)
For children to inherit from you under the laws of intestacy, the state of Indiana must consider them your children, legally. For many families, this is not a confusing issue. But it’s not always clear. Here are some things to keep in mind.
•Adopted children. Children you legally adopted will receive an intestate share, just as your biological children do.
•Foster children and stepchildren. Foster children and stepchildren you never legally adopted will not automatically receive a share.
•Children placed for adoption. Children you placed for adoption and who were legally adopted by another family will not receive a share. However, if your biological children were adopted by your spouse, that won’t affect their intestate inheritance.
•Posthumous children. Children conceived by you but not born before your death will receive a share.
•Children born outside of marriage. If you were not married to your children’s mother when she gave birth to them, they will receive a share of your estate if (1) you later marry the children’s mother and acknowledge the children as your own, (2) you sign an affidavit affirming your paternity, (3) the child is at least 20 years old and a court established your paternity during your lifetime, (4) the child is under the age of 20 and a court established your paternity during your lifetime or within five months after your death, or (5) the child was born after your death and a court established your paternity in a case filed within 11 months after your death.
•Grandchildren. Your grandchildren will receive a share only if their parent (your child) has died before you do.
If you want to read the law, Indiana Code §§ 29-1-2-6, 29-1-2-7, and 29-1-2-8 cover parent-child relationships.
This can be a tricky area of the law, so if you have questions about your relationship to your parent or child, get help from an experienced attorney.
Will the State Get Your Property?
If you die without a will and don’t have any family, your property will “escheat” into the state’s coffers. However, this very rarely happens because the laws are designed to get your property to anyone who was even remotely related to you. For example, your property won’t go to the state if you leave a spouse, children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, siblings, neices, nephews, or cousins.
Other Indiana Intestate Succession Rules
Here are a few other things to know about Indiana intestacy laws.
•Half-relatives. “Half” relatives inherit as if they were “whole.” That is, your sister with whom you share a father, but not a mother, has the same right to your property as she would if you had both parents in common.
•Posthumous relatives. Relatives conceived before -- but born after -- you die inherit as if they had been born while you were alive.
•Immigration status. Relatives entitled to an intestate share of your property will inherit whether or not they are citizens or legally in the United States.
•Causing the death of your child’s other parent. If you criminally caused the death of your child’s other parent, you will not receive a share of your child’s estate. (Indiana Code § 29-1-2-7.)
•Adultery or abandonment. If you are separated from your spouse and “living in adultery” at the time of your spouse’s death, or if you have abandoned your spouse without just cause, you will not receive a share of your spouse’s estate. (Indiana Code §§ 29-1-2-14 and -15.)
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.
Please rate my answer. Otherwise I will receive no credit for my time and efforts. Thank you for your cooperation.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.