Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

My father-in-law passed away 4 years ago and we discovered

Customer Question

My father-in-law passed away 4 years ago and we discovered that he had never put his mineral rights into his trust. What happens to those in probate? Do they go to my mother-in-law or are they split among the four children and her?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
They pass according to the terms of the will if there was a will or by intestate succession if there was no will. There has to be some kind of probate done to pass title to the mineral rights though.