Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

A relatve dies leaving a will and an executor can we file the

Customer Question

a relatve dies leaving a will and an executor can we file the will in probate court and get a court to open her safty deposit box at the bank we live in florida.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Yes, once the will has been filed with the probate court and the executor has been officially appointed as executor and issued the documentation evidencing the authority of the executor, the executor can take that documentation to the bank and the bank will allow the executor to open the safety deposit box. It's always a good idea for the executor to take a disinterested witness to observe the opening of the safe deposit box to prevent a beneficiary later claiming the executor took assets from the box without disclosing them to other beneficiaries.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!