Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

No Wiil. If all property is in both names, does the surviving

Customer Question

No Wiil. If all property is in both names, does the surviving spouse have to pay the deceased adult children part of the estate even if property is not payed for? What about Life Insurance that was left to spouse?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Generally, real estate that is in joint names of husband-and-wife passes to the surviving spouse without any interest in going to the children. Life insurance is paid to the named beneficiary on the policy. It does not pass through an estate. Therefore, whoever the beneficiary is receives the funds, and no one else. This is true in most states, but state laws can differ, and if that question actually arises in your situation, be sure to consult a local probate lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much, this has help me.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for contacting Just Answer
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any follow up questions. If not, I hope that you will find the time to enter a positive rating for my Answer.