How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31453
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died a year ago in Georgia. I'm in NJ. I am told

Customer Question

My father died a year ago in Georgia. I'm in NJ. I am told he had no will. His mother passed away after him. I am told she left me nothing. He never did anything for me, never paid child support either. Total dead beat father. Family has history of drug, alcohol issues. I have no idea what if anything they had when they passed, but his brother and sister are suddenly going on cruises and seem to have come into some money. I am his only child. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
Good morning. my condolences for your losses.
As an interested party, you can open an estate in probate in the state and county where your parents resided when they died. You can be appointed by the court as the estate representative and then start getting the estate assets inventoried. If your relatives have misappropriated estate property you can force them through the probate court to return it to the estate.
Because you live out of state, you will need to retain local counsel in Georgia. If you need help finding an attorney.
try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:
It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.
Thank you.

Related Estate Law Questions