How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a residence of New York state. I rent a room in

Customer Question

I am a residence of New York state. I rent a room in new york, the landlord at the begging of my arrival refused to give me any rental agreement, recipe of the rent or etc. anytime I would ask for the rent recipe, there would be a huge aggression. I lived here for about 4 years, I paid the rent in cash, sometimes I was struggling but still paying the rent. The apartment also is a co-op apartment, unfurnished and under a bad condition. she also said there would be a wifi internet which when I came here, it wasn't true. The landlord also suffer from a severe psychiatric disorder in a way that whenever you were talking over the phone, taking shower, or cooking at the kitchen, her panic attacks were out of control. A couple of months ago, she asked me to leave the apartment, I received the 30 days of notice, I couldn't leave by that time. Then I received the court date, I couldn't appear for the first time so they gave me the second date. By that time I will be moved from my room but the thing is that She already hired a lawyer to file a claim against me that I didn't pay her any money at all. since the rent was in cash and she refused to give me any recipe. I know that she asked the lawyer to charge me for all four years of monthly rent. The landlord is illegal and she also claimed before which I'm not sure how true is that that the lease of the house is not under her name but she has the loan, ( that's why I think is the reason she hires the lawyer). I just have no idea, what to do, or would the lawyer be able to charge me with the rent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear this.
Are you able to get even one receipt for a recent or current rental payment?
Did anyone ever witness you pay the rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I applied for voucher help before and she received a couple of checks for that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a student, I talked with a lawyer over the phone and she said if I leave the house before the court date, and when I appear at the court, said that I have already paid the rent there will not be a problem, but since she hired a lawyer, I am not sure about that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would the effect of the charge just appear on my credit, or would the court schedule me a payment data to pay her money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry to say that but Can I make a recipe by myself, since she lies a lot?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
You can't make a receipt for the lessor. Did anyone ever witness you pay rent?
Can you pay it using a money order next time?