CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My father died last year, and i just found out that he and

Customer Question

My father died last year, and i just found out that he and my mother have not filed taxes since he retried 20 years ago. My mother is on her own and I would like to correct the situation. Where do I start?
Thanks
She lives in california
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You really need to hire an accountant (CPA) to help you with this - some of these tax years are going to be too old (the IRS will generally only go back 10 years), but an accountant can assist you in getting extensions and hopefully minimizing any penalties that may apply (if any).Helping your mother locate bank statements and financial documents is going to be the most productive use of your time, but hiring a professional is going to be the best way to fix this problem.