PocketLawyer
PocketLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of probate, estate planning and real estate law. Over 600 probate cases handled personally.
72688461

Car left by my deceased husband he had no Will the car is inoperable.

Customer Question

Car left by my deceased husband he had no Will the car is inoperable. The Lien holder does not want the property. The car has been at the same location for 5 yrs. State of GA.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  PocketLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for reaching out! I'd love to answer your probate, estate planning and real estate questions.
Your main problem at the moment is the lien. You should ask the lienholder if they will release the lien so you can retitle the property in your name (assuming you're the rightful heir by state law or Last will and testament).
If so, the lienholder will need to issue that release at which point you will want to first try asking the DMV to issue the new title. If not, you may need to go through probate court to secure authority to deal with the car and ultimately transfer into the name of the heir(s).
I hope this points you in the right direction and answers your direct questions. If you need to follow up, feel free to reply here. Otherwise, please rate my answer so I may receive credit for my time. Thank you.