PocketLawyer
PocketLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of probate, estate planning and real estate law. Over 600 probate cases handled personally.
72688461

My son deceased had money in bank money has been in bank

Customer Question

my son deceased had money in bank money has been in bank since 1988 how can I get the money
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  PocketLawyer replied 1 year ago.
You'll likely have to probate your son's estate to secure authority to collect those funds. If your son had children or a surviving spouse, they will likely be the heirs in the absence of a Last Will and Testament.
Contact the clerk's office in the county where your son resided at death and ask them about the local probate procedures.
Once you have the authority, you should be able to secure the funds and pass them on to the rightful heirs (you perhaps). Please note that if the money hasn't been touched in nearly 20 years, the money may have been turned over to the Oklahoma Unclaimed Property division. You may still need to go through probate procedures to secure those funds.
I hope this points you in the right direction and answers your direct questions. If you need to follow up, feel free to reply here. Otherwise, please rate my answer so I may receive credit for my time. Thank you.