Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

When you sell a house with tenants who assumes the deposit refund the buyer or seller?

Customer Question

when you sell a house with tenants who assumes the deposit refund the buyer or seller?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
The new owner steps into the shoes of the old owner. On the closing of the sale, the new owner should get credit from the old owner for any deposit posted by the tenant. From the tenant's perspective, if the tenant leaves and the new owner won't return the deposit because the new owner states he didn't receive it at closing, the tenant would file suit naming both the new owner and the old owner as defendants.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing - If my tenant purchases the house and never technically moves out do I need to return their deposit? This is entirely different from the 1st question
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This would be subject to your agreement with the tenant on the purchase of the property. If your agreement is silent, then the tenant would be entitled to a return of the deposit upon purchase because it was posted to insure against unpaid rent and damages. But, if the tenant caused damage to the house which caused you to have to sell it to him for a reduced price or the tenant is requiring you to make repairs, then you could apply the deposit to that damage.