LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

My brother died. In his will he left everything to myself and

Customer Question

my brother died. In his will he left everything to myself and his other brother. He had an IRA which he named his mother as his benif.Our mother died 7 years ago and left everything to myself and my brother. How do we get the Ira transferred to us
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my mom left everything in a trust
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
My goal is to provide great service - if you have any questions, please ask. A follow up consult with a personal attorney is always recommended. My sympathies for your family's loss.
The IRA administrator will need to be contacted, because when the named beneficiary predeceases the IRA owner, the terms of the IRA dictate how the IRA is to be distributed.
The options are:
- The spouse is the beneficiary;
- If there is no surviving spouse, the surviving children is the beneficiary-Per Stirpes or Per Capita;
- If there is no surviving spouse or surviving children, the estate of the retirement account owner is the beneficiary.
The above is spelled out in the "default policy" of the IRA.
If it provides for #3 above, the IRA is paid to the estate, and the executor distributes it according to the terms of the will.
Information on Florida probate here: http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/0a92a6dc28e76ae58525700a005d0d53/92f75229484644c985256b2f006c5a7a?OpenDocument
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!