Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

I received a letter from a life insurance company stating they had found a policy on my e

Customer Question

I received a letter from a life insurance company stating they had found a policy on my exhusband now deceased with me as the beneficiary. But it states Beneficiary: wife (me); if Divorced, Insured's Estate. What does this mean? Should I fill out the claim form.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
The clause means that if you and your husband were married on the date he died you are entitled to his benefits.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
However, if you were divorced on the date of his death then the benefits are paid to the estate to be distributed, after payment of just claims and expenses, to the beneficiaries of the residuary estate.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if you were married you should fill out the claim form. If not forward it to the executor of his estate.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my answer.
Best regards.