Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

This is a California probate. She died without a will. Her

Customer Question

This is a California probate. She died without a will. Her spouse died 12 years prior. The house was in joint tenancy, and sales funds are being split between a sister and the step-children. Sister also gets the bank accounts and the sale money from personal property. The house was sold. Who pays what costs, expenses of estate and attorney fees, real estate sale costs etc.? Are they divided equally, or do they get charged against the sales proceeds from that specific asset? Thanks
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight
Typically, it is the estate that pays for the administrative costs, legal fees, etc. Not the parties (unless they agree and wish to do so), but, the estate.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.